My Quote Of The Day

Home Don't judge me by what u have seen in me. Remember what u have seen in me is only what I have chosen to show u!

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

It’s not just a Book…

September 5, 2009 (2:17pm) - I received a message on Facebook from Aroosa Masroor 

“Hello Mr. Srivastava, this is Aroosa from Dawn.com Karachi (Pakistan). One of our colleagues and a Senior Journalist Asif Noorani wants your permission to use a comment on your blog - Instablogs - about Shahid Afridi. He is working on a book that is due to be published soon. Can you kindly contact him at (email id) at your earliest? Will appreciate your help in this regard. Thanks.” I read the mail again as my Facebook inbox wasn’t used to such meaningful mails. 

This one seemed to have too much info and I read it just after having lunch in my office. The drowsiness instantly disappeared as I read the mail again. Mr Srivastava, Aroosa, Dawn, Pakistan, Asif Noorani, Instablogs were the keywords I noticed. And I read the mail again! Senior Journalist Mr. Asif Noorani wants my PERMISSION to publish one of my articles in his book? Was someone kidding with me on Teachers Day? I immediately searched for Asif Noorani on Google and got a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asif_Noorani which made me realise about Mr. Noorani’s personality. 

Without wasting a minute, I mailed him asking for further details. He mailed me back saying he liked my article which was published on Instablogs (which I wrote for free) and was willing to use it in his soon-to-be-published book. Some of the other major contributors in the book would be legendary Pakistani cricketers Zaheer Abbas, Wasim Akram and some senior cricket writers. After seeking the permission of Instablogs' editor, Mr. Noorani was free to use my article in his book. 

Way back in 2010, it was nothing less than a dream for me. I was supposed to be published in a book - whose author was a renowned writer from Pakistan - who, out of the millions of articles available on the Internet, chose mine for his book. I told this to my parents, sister and they thought I was kidding (nobody takes me seriously as you all know). I then had to show them the emails I exchanged with Mr. Noorani. Mr Noorani had promised me that he would courier me a copy of the book from Pakistan (with his signature) and since then, each and every day, I would call my masi in Faridabad (her address was the one I had mentioned to Mr. Noorani). 

One day, when I was asleep in a cab on my way to the office, my cell phone rang as I saw those 3 golden words “Shanno Mausi Calling!” My body language changed within a second and the driver stared at me as if I jumped out on the DND flyover! “Hello Suyash,” she said. “Namaste Shanno Mausi,” was my reply. Now, I didn’t ask her this time if the book had arrived and I waited for her response. “How are you?” she asked. “I am good,” I responded. Short questions were followed by short answers and while I thought it was one of those regular calls, she said, “Ek courier aaya hai Pakistan sey..." Yesssssssssssssssss! Yessssssssssssss!! I knew it was THE gift from Pakistan! The way I screamed, woke up the passengers snoring on the back seats. They were soon asleep thinking I was a maniac. The poor driver could not decipher what was wrong with me. “It’s the book Shanno Mausi, the book from Mr. Noorani I told you?”, “Achha??? Wahi book hai kya?? Ruko dekhte hain,” she said as she unpacked it. “Arey beta 3rd page par he tumhara naam chhapa hai! Wasim Akram, Zaheer Abbas ka bhi naam hai. It’s a big achievement Suyash beta! Naam roshan kar diya tumne!” 

I rarely get speechless, but it had to be one of those rare beautiful moments. My hands were shivering when I held the book. It was no less than a Man of the Match award for me. I imagined how a batsman feels after receiving his first trophy. Due to the busy schedule in Delhi, I wasn’t able to play cricket, so I decided to write cricket-related articles, as, by doing so, I felt connected with the game. Even though those articles were published for free, the satisfaction I derived by reading them, can’t be achieved through money or described in words. 

I had never thought that a writer from Pakistan would someday award my love for the game in a memorable manner. That's the magic of blogging I think.

'Boom Boom Afridi' reminds me of all those days when I used to play gully cricket with my friends. It reminds me of all those days when I cried after India lost a match or got upset after Tendulkar got out in the nervous nineties. This achievement is dedicated to my parents, my sister - who have always encouraged my passion for the gentleman's game. I would thank all my buddies who have made cricket so special to me. Thanks to all those, who understand what cricket means to me. Last and not least, I will always be indebted to Mr. Nooraani, for giving an aspiring sports journalist's article, a memorable space in his wonderful book. ‘Boom- Boom Afridi’ is indeed very special for me. It doesn’t include just one of my articles, it has a journey, has my love for the game since my childhood days. It’s not just a book…

41 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i particularly loved 2 reactions... one when u were asked for the permission and second when ur aunt told u about the delivery of book ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. once again congratulations syu (buddy):).. ur book is not only an achievement but a proud feeling for me as well as ur writting finally got d reward.. i noe WOT CRICKET , actually maeans to me.. Love & good luck ..........
    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!!! Once agn..CONGO for d buk. Dunno wt a Man of the Match award cud feel lyk...d least m i interested!bt cud c ur puzzled face once u recived d mail, the beaming luk once ur mausi recivd D BUK! yeah...its nt js a buk...Its D BUK! 4 u, ur fmly, ur frns...for all f us..Cheers da! Boom ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Somya~ Thanks yaar, she indeed was very happy once she came 2 know dat it was d book

    @ Richa~ Thanks Buddy, thanx 4 understanding me n my passions so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kyaa baat hai janab!!! keep up this high spirit and give ur best shots..May God bless u with more and more achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Meenal~ Thanx a lot yaar!

    @ Azra~ Shukriya mohtarmaan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. bhai no words to xpress...its just a gr8 feeling when dreams come true...Do scan dat 3rd page nd send it to me..nd yes congrts nd keep rokin..

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Shiv~ Thanx a lot bhai. I'll definitely scan the page n mail it to you

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh GOD..I am so happy..its really a great feeling for a friend like you..i have always said that keep writing..you ROCK dear!!
    i am coming soon would like to see it personally..Swap

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heartiest Congratulations for ur wonderful work, um really very happy & i cn visualize ur xpresions wen u wud hv received d mail & D BOOK,, actually this is d reward for ol ur hard wrk & ur dedication.. wishing u ol d very best for ur future ritings & may u get acknowledged for ol d gr8 wrk u do... ALL D BEST & Tk cr..

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey congr88ssss bro!!!! keep it up bro....it feels great plesure to read ur blog...GOD BLESS U!!!! SHANKAR

    ReplyDelete
  13. bhai aankhe bhar aayi yaar..
    bachpan ke din yaad aa gaye..
    nothing to say..just amazing[:)]
    khoon khoon me cricket hai..

    ReplyDelete
  14. bhai phone wale scene me to mai pagal ho gaya..
    just too good..

    ReplyDelete
  15. your post reminded me of my gully cricket dayzz :-D

    Congratz on ur book... was nice reading your blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Swapnil~ Thanx a ot dear, yeah u can definitely see it when u come

    @ PD- He he, as always u r dere with loads of encouraging words. Thnx a lot!

    @ Vinayak~ Thanx man

    @ Rakesh~ Shukriya bhai

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Amit~ Shukriya dost, m glad 2 know dat u like reading my blog:)

    @ James~ Ab aur kya chahiye dost. Tere aansuon ney mere is blog ki value bata di. U cried as u r d 1 who has played d most Gully Cricket with me:) Jub Shanno Mausi ki call ayi thi na bhai n whn I came 2 know ki book aa gayii...ohhh LIFE TYM EXPERIENCE!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Dan~ Thanx mate! Everybody who has been a part of Gully Cricket will feel much more connected with this blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice blog yaaar
    Good work
    Keep it up

    123friendz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous (apart from what I told you on phone!). See? This is the difference between just writing for the heck of it and writing about something you are passionate about...keep going!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on one of your best moments Suyash!!!
    It’s a great achievement, we are very proud of u.
    N it’s just beginning, keep going...

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ Raju~ Thanx 4 appreci8ing d blog!

    @ Sis~ U told me over d phn?? What? When? The post is error free as u can c:)

    @ Deepak Bhai~ Thanx bhai 4 dose moral boosters:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your blog is very good.

    Sucess!

    Murilo Lima
    @unidadelivre

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ Vinayak, Murilo ~ Thanks a lot 4 appreci8ing d blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. commented 2 times
    but doing once more
    u have a great blog
    wanna blogroll
    reply on
    http://www.vteamgamereviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. SABAKI APANI APANI LEKHAN SHAILI HOTI HAI.
    SACHCHE KALAMKAR KI CHAVI NA MAILI HOTI HAI.
    UuN VRIKSHON KO BAR BAR SINCHANA NAHI PADTA,
    JINKI JAD DHARTI ME GAHARE FAILI HOTI HAI.

    RACHANATMAK ZAMEEN PAR TUMHARI JADE GAHARI FAILEN AUR SU(ndar)YASH ka VISHAL VRIKSH LAHLAHAYE..............
    GARV K SATH,
    Rajesh Raj

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey Congrats..and superb!! So well said..the flow was faboulous to read through..

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is a remarkable achievement! Congrats! keep going ...

    ReplyDelete
  29. @ Vinayak-replied to you bro, thnx again 4 appreci8ing d blog

    @ Kavilok- Aakhir beta kiska hai:)

    @ Pragatai- Thanx dear!

    ReplyDelete
  30. it's great that you've got this achievement! well done

    ~Sanz
    http://sanz360.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow it must have been an amazing experience. Nice blog, very well written. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats Suyash Srivastava... that's really appreciable! keep up the good work...
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi

    Day by day ur blog is improving...........

    Lot of comments here........

    Hmmm good

    visit mine

    123friendz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. @ Sanz~ Thanx 4 visiting and appreciating the blog dear!

    @ Milana~ Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. @ Bobby~ Thnx mate!!

    @ Raju~ Its all because of d gr8 fans I guess:)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Inspiring..!!!
    I too wanna hv dat feeling..:(
    It is olwayz such a grt pleasure to b rewarded for wat u deserve..:)
    N u deserve mch more..

    ReplyDelete