My Quote Of The Day

Home Don't judge me by what u have seen in me. Remember what u have seen in me is only what I have chosen to show u!

Monday, March 7, 2011

My Nanaji...


My grandparents run a small school in Gorakhpur. Located on the central Medical College road, it is one of the oldest Hindi medium schools in Gorakhpur. As far as I know, the total number of students in the school never reached 300. Despite the low count, the students who passed out were disciplined and well-behaved. Without a doubt, I can say, that the reason behind that was the principles which had been laid by my Nanaji - who was also the founder of the school.

Nanaji reminded me of Mahatma Gandhi. He led his life on Gandhian principles - which inspired many. He always wore a white Kurta-Lungi and his food matched his lifestyle - simple.

Until sunset, Nanaji spent most of his time inside the school campus – where he had a unique family – a small farm, where he planted vegetables. He also planted mango trees in the farm and looked after the greenery in the campus. It was very rare that vegetables were bought for the market. Every time guests or relatives visited the house; he would invite them to have a look at his farm and then give them vegetables in return. With extreme love and affection, he looked after the flowers and the vegetables - just like parents do for their kids. 

While he barely got angry, he would lose his cool whenever a cricket ball reached his small farm. While the kids ran over the vegetables to fetch the ball in a hurry, he would get furious and yell – “inmein bhi jaan hoti hai.” Sometimes, he even hid the ball in his lungi and pretended as if he had seen nothing. He would return the ball only after the entire team appealed him to do so. He would also warn us not to play shots in that direction. Even he knew that the ball would reach his farm in another 10 minutes but for Nanaji, the happiness of his 14 grandchildren had far more importance than any other thing in the world.

During my school days, he often asked me to read and learn more about politics. Sometimes, he even tried to teach me the basics of politics, which then bounced off my head. I told him about my interest in cricket. He smiled and said, “Politics ki bhi knowledge honi chahiye, bahot kaam aati hai.” When I entered my professional career, I realised that politics was something I got to study and learn. I realised if I had listened to him, he would have taught me and things would have been much easier. Today, when I am into journalism and very much acquainted with politics, I wish he was here and we could have some interesting sessions on politics.

Nanaji always taught us to care for the animals - who are unable to express their feelings. As a part of his daily routine, after having his dinner, he carried chapattis for dogs and cows - who waited for him outside the house to arrive with their meal.

Hatred was something that never existed in his life. Nobody has a clue, about how much of financial help he did for the needy. It was only after he passed away, that we realised it.

In a procession to feed people thirteen days after his death, hundreds of people gathered at the house with tears gushing from their eyes. "He was a great man. We can never forget what he did for me and my family," was something we heard from most of them. The family didn't know how to react when people, who were strangers, came up with similar reactions. He wasn't a celebrity, yet his popularity had no boundaries.

Things are back to routine. There is a gardener who has pledged to look after Nanaji’s family inside the school campus till his last breath. Yet, I am sure; the flowers do not blossom as they did in his presence. There are chapattis cooked especially for dogs and cows - who still get their meals every night. Now, their eyes search for their maseeha and not the food. Nanaji's room is equally well taken well care of. His belongings are neatly kept inside his room. Nanaji's demise has affected the entire family’s appetite. His smiling photograph, neatly framed in his room, is something we all look up to as a source of inspiration. The kids miss his presence, so do elders. Things are back to routine, yet his absence is felt every day.

I am sure if ever God plans to take a break from his daily routine, he will approach my Nanaji asking for a replacement. May his soul rest in peace.

He always had a smile, he didn't carry grudges any...
He was the maseeha of hundreds, he was the saviour for many...

Note: My Nanaji left for heavenly abode on March 7, 2010. This article is dedicated to him on his first death anniversary.

13 comments:

  1. I'm sure nanaji would be proud of you all !!
    Nothing cud have been more better than this tribute!!
    Its hard to accept that he is not with us.. sometimes i feel dat he is still wid us when i look at that field.

    "The manner in which he carried himself..He is one in a million n always be.."
    You did a great job my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My tribute to Nanaji too. Buddy u made me recall memories of my nanaji to whom i was very close and attached. Thanks for your style of tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really each and every heart miss him a lot... Your blog is an example of that… We all really miss his presence in every aspects of life… earlier it was great charms for us when we go at nana’s place..
    “NANI K GHAR JANA HAI” this sentence creates super happiness and excitement for us… Where every M of any moment meant masti too us.. but everything become past and now every M of any moments reminds us that “SOMETHING IS STILL MISSING”(NANAJI).
    At last I do appreciate your blog and writing skills which really express the tribute and love which we really have for NANAJI… the words and moments were expressed very nicely... do make it read to all family member.. One of the best blog. I must say!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nanaji would have been so proud to have a grandson like u, who loves him and respects him SO much!!

    After reading this, I think everyone of us would be missing our grandparents and the time we spent with them. And also, the time which we never got the chance to spend with them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading this one I can very well associate you with him; however I have never met him or seen him. He is and will always be with you and must be proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. something worth reading after a long time Suyash.
    you sure carry all his principles with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wos student of that school in 93-95..
    Such a great School..

    ReplyDelete
  8. though our lives hv moved on..bt smwhr,v ol miss him.i know he is watching us from heaven,appreciating and supporting us.
    may his soul rest in peace..!!
    a true tribute to nanaji.he mst be so proud of u.

    ReplyDelete
  9. जब सिर्फ सितारे जाग रहे थे, सोती हुई दुनिया को जगाने के लिए
    सूरज अभी निकलने की तैयारी कर रहा था.
    जब खिलने से पहले कलियाँ ओस में नहा रही थीं .
    तब ख़ामोशी से ब्लॉग पर अंकित होते इन अश्रुपूरित शब्द सुमनों से ज्यादा पवित्र
    और कोई श्रद्धांजलि नहीं हो सकती.
    सर्वत्र व्याप्त आत्मा के रूप में इन उदगारों को पढ़ कर
    निश्चय ही अपनी ऑंखें नम होने से बचने की कोशिश में "नानाजी" के चेहरे पर
    वही "चिर परिचित मुस्कान" खिल गयी होगी.
    हमें तुम पर गर्व है
    पापा + मम्मी

    ReplyDelete
  10. its our proud that we r the children of such a PAPA .who will alive forever among us due to his simple life style and high thinking. he was the man of principles.he got happiness through to distribute happiness.he loved human beings ,he loved animals ,and he loved nature . his affection with flowers ,trees and vegetables makes him special .we feel a huge emptiness in our life without him . but I know who will follow his principles n teaching ,he will always present with them .your line (ball, flowers , lungi , and nanaji,) gave a feeling of live present of papa . hope to follow his teaching in ur life u will give him real tribute .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ur each n evry line made me feel lyk....he is stil here...vd us...in his room watching tv..aur sm whr in the field...!!still sm tym i feel lyk he vl cm suddnly n say...it was a joke...m agian here..."jao ek jug paani garam kr do":)
    his sudden death changd daily routine of my whole fmly...i nvr saw his anger...dnt knw hw he usd to b so good.....his each n evry thng is kept as he usd to..bt he is no whr to use them...ur blog was osm....v all miss him too much....

    ReplyDelete
  12. दिल भर आया ! हमारी परवरिश में बुजुर्गों के हांथों को नकारा नहीं जा सकता, न उनके अनकहे एहसानों का बदला चुकाया जा सकता है। नानाजी को नमन।

    ReplyDelete