My Quote Of The Day

Home Don't judge me by what u have seen in me. Remember what u have seen in me is only what I have chosen to show u!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

WHEN THE NATION WENT BERSERK!

A group of shirtless men gathered in front of my apartment and chanted slogans like 'Chak dey India' and 'F**d ki Pakistan ki'. They even carried beer bottles and were at their peak. Now if you minus the slogans from this celebration, such are similar scenes during the Holi festival which is then referred to as hooliganism. As I looked at those men with blurred eyes while the firecrackers adorned the sky, I couldn't believe what I saw next. All the families including women had come out in their balconies to cheer these men who jumped and wept and hugged and did everything possible to ensure their celebrations rocked Lahore!


Never in my life had I seen such a pleasing sight. What is referred to as hooliganism was being cheered by people from the best of families. What would have been an ugly sight on an ordinary day was looking so serene and justified. I even noticed women wiping the corner of their eyes with their dupattas as their men smiled with blurred eyes. Such is the charm of the game. An Indian victory over arch-rival Pakistan is an occasion where feelings beyond cricket are expressed.


I too blew my vuvuzela as hard as I could and I left for my office as I had a night shift. I had just walked a few steps where I once again met a mob. It was the time for some bhangda celebrations. As a man counted “one-two-three,” deafening drums began the carnival during mid night. Such celebrations are not seen even during Lohri or other festivals. Just to remind you that every third person was a stranger but who gave a damn keeping in mind the extraordinary occasion!


I somehow managed to reach the main road where I was sure I wouldn't find an auto rickshaw just like I didn't find the washer man during the day time. And my predictions were correct. After waiting for almost five minutes I decided to join the celebrations a couple of yards ahead. Now this celebration overshadowed all the others! A man with a gun stood in the middle of the road with his aides surrounding him. They stopped each and every vehicle that passed by and asked the driver or the male member to come out for a minute. The aim was not to loot them but to hug each of them for India’s victory which was followed by a hawaayi firing! The policemen also displayed their dancing skills in several celebrations (without demanding any bribe)


The way everyone went berserk has been the talk of the town and the better celebrations lie ahead. India has moved to the final of a World Cup for the third time and to be straightforward, they are just one win away from what can be referred as ‘the day for many lives.’


For all those people who believe men don’t cry April 02 is ‘the day’. Emotions will come out in a way like never before. While India clash against Sri Lanka at the Wankhede Stadium, no matter what is the result, men will cry for sure. And the way team India is bleeding blue right through this World Cup, folks be ready to bask in the glory of a much anticipated World Cup victory! We are in Mumbai to rewrite the history!

Armaano ko dilon mein sanjo k tum rakhna, kuch aisi wo jashna ki raat hogi,

Sitaare bhi hongey nazaare bhi hogey, us CUP sey hamari jo mulaqaat hogi!

Jai Hind!

2 comments:

  1. truely!!Cricket is one such thing in India dat makes it happen.
    its a notion dat girls dont watch matches, bt even my hostel was thundering with cheers throughout d match.
    hope we win the cup...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never had this much interest in Cricket ever; somebody initiated this interest and you can't believe today sometimes I wonder is it me?? I didn't miss a single ball in that match starting from our National Anthem..My mom didn't cook dinner as she was busy watching :)VJ called me after the presentation and he was shouting despite of the fact that he is not that much into Cricket as you guys are..so yes it gets this emotional for everyone :)

    ReplyDelete