My Quote Of The Day

Home Don't judge me by what u have seen in me. Remember what u have seen in me is only what I have chosen to show u!

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

MISS YOU MONTY…



-->
29th July 2007. It was the worst day of my life. I was attending the funeral of my best friend with whom I had celebrated his birthday a few days ago (July 19). I still remembered his level of excitement while he talked about his preparations for Parul’s marriage. Parul, who sat next to me like a statue with tearful eyes, having lost her elder brother Monty. Both of us sat there like helpless creatures as the pyre kept burning. I kept looking at the pyre hoping he would get up all of a sudden, laugh at me and say that it was another prank he played with me. But life was no more fun.

I wiped my tears and looked at my hands. These were the same hands I was holding him with, sitting next to him in the hospital a day before. I could still feel the warmth of our relationship by holding his frozen hands. Our friendship was full of true emotions, pranks and humiliating endless arguments. He couldn’t speak a word as his mouth was covered by an oxygen mask. But we never needed words to communicate. I read numerous unspoken words in his eyes. Eyes, that had tears, pain and fear at the same time. Eyes, which were eager to capture everything, before they slept forever. An image distracted my thoughts, I saw my father standing before me who told me it was the time to leave. I thought if he had ever cried like I did in the last few days. I left the place after having a last look at the pyre; our 18-year-old friendship had turned into ashes.

Once I reached home, my mom asked me to wash my face after which she could offer me something to eat. I walked towards the wash basin as everybody looked at me like they had never before, especially the kids, whom I had always suggested not to cry. I looked at the mirror and found it to be very dirty, as if it had not been cleaned for ages. People often found it difficult to face the reality I thought. I wiped it with my hands and was amazed to see my own image. My eyes were red, as if blood had replaced my tear glands and my face resembled one of the patients I saw in the hospital a day before.

I came back to the dining table where my mom was ready with a plate of food. I tried to recall when was the last time she fed me with her hands, may be a decade ago. She remained silent as if she exactly knew I was lost in my thoughts. I often thought if there was an award for ‘timing’, all mothers would be very strong contenders for it. The best part of them is that they exactly know when to speak and when not to, as they can easily mould themselves into any situation. Mom knew that Monty wasn’t just a friend, but he meant the world to me. She was ready with a handkerchief even before tears left my eyes. She had also not eaten anything since morning. I thought of hugging her but that would have certainly made the situation worse for the kids who surrounded us.

Four-year-old Sakshu had been looking at me for quite some time now. He was known to be a chatterbox. Thus, it was a miracle to see him so quiet. The moment he saw me looking at him, he said “Bhai, I have finished my milk, now will you talk to me?” I tried smiling at him, at the same time, trying to control the tears welling up in my eyes. I looked at my mom who by now had wet eyes. She put a bite in my mouth which my throat refused to swallow. I couldn’t resist it anymore, I had burst into tears. I couldn’t find a better place than my mom’s lap to weep. My crying did spoil the atmosphere, as everybody around - mom, all kids, my grandfather, my grandmother, maternal uncle, maternal aunt couldn’t control their tears any more and the atmosphere went horrid as everybody moaned. 

I realized men do cry, and that too very badly at times. I cried like I had never before till I fell asleep.

There are times in life when one has to question if at all there is an Almighty. It was a similar phase for me. Monty was one of the purest human beings one could ever come across. I had never seen him complain about anything. He was always content with what he had and was a gem of a friend.

People kept consoling me saying “This is a part of life,” and it hardly made a difference to my state of mind.

Several individuals, who are a threat to mankind, live a happy life and a blessing to mankind like Monty had to leave the world for which reason? Can somebody explain me the logic? Nobody can, as nobody knows what he meant to me.

There are some wounds which cannot be healed by even the best doctors in the world. Monty’s departure was one of them.

‘Thousand prayers couldn’t bring him back
I know...as I have tried
Nor could a million tears
I know...as I have cried’

15 comments:

  1. This article of urs jst fills my eyes wid tears,, i dont hv enough words 2 explain wat i feel wen i read this article, its hard 2 xplain such a beautiful and emotional article in words,,,

    Its filled wid true feelings & pure emotions, its clearly visible in ur article d pain tht u went thru...

    Its filled wid true emotions for sm1 who is very close 2 ur heart & is nt wid us nemore!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brings back lots of memories!! Brings in lots of tears!! Can smthng bring back d person?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wuff...!!! u hv actually poured all ur hidden emotions here. i felt as if m dere, watchng everythng u described. Xtremely touching. i knw wat it feels, losin a frn lyk dis. u made my eyes wet dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is a bag all pack someday.And there is no reason or logic that may explain it.Emotions and memories are all what we have remaining as the replica of life deep in our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. m almost in tears after readin it...its like as if m goin thro ths feeling..and i jus wana say the unexpected always happen..hope for the best n get ready for the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  6. giraata bhi hai, uthaata bhi hai, ujaadta bhi hai, banata bhi hai, siskiyon main zindigi pirota bhi hai, andaazey khuda bhi azeeb hee hai...

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading dis article um falling short of words.. d pain and d ans to ur questions are not unsaid dear...
    somethings dun carry a reason, v have to luk for d ans beneath our own understanding..
    wish u gud luck and pray such mystical mishaps nva eva happen to ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An arrow can b shoot only by dragging it backward..
    so weneva lyf pulls u back, do not worry. it's gonna lead u 2 victory...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its realy a veary SAD mument in our life. Hearing the news that monty lost his life like a bullet thats make hole in my hurt. I can,t believe on it, but at last.... . A great person
    have a good nature.

    एक एहसास दे गया वो
    सब के दिलो पर इक दाग दे गया वो
    मुस्कुराता न तो गम न था
    अपने साथ हसीं लम्हों की सगौत दे गया वो
    कुछ कर्ज था उसका हमारे जीवन पर
    हमें अपना कर्जदार कर गया वो
    बड़ी चाहत थी साथ के उसके
    अब हर पल अपना साथ दे गया वो

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea..
    men do cry..

    deepest condolences!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This might help you in some way.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9k_HUq1Kd4
    I don't want to say I understand what you went through...because the pain you went through is just difficult to imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dont know if this is atrue incident in your life or a topic of fictional writing,whichever it is , Its very well written ,full of emotion and depth.If you have lost your friend all I can say is pray that his family have courage to survive without him and offer them support.

    ReplyDelete
  13. miss u monty bhaiya...may ur soul rest in peace..amen.
    syu bhaiya..it wud hv been real hard for u to pen down this article.pure emotions!!!
    u remember d poem u wrote 4 him on his first bday,after his demise?Beautiful..i still hv dat in my inbox,tho my cell has a max capacity of 50 msgs..:-|

    ReplyDelete